Monday, November 14, 2011

Task #9. Run 3 new 5k road races (12/3/11)

Task #9: Run 3 new 5k road races
Suggested by: Me
Completed: 12/3/11


This summer and fall has been a mix of training for short runs and all of our training ultimately lead to our first half marathon.  But we did some pretty fun new 5k races along the way.  Normally, I wouldn't remember, but thank goodness for http://www.athlinks.com/ for keeping track of personal race results that are posted on the internet.  That means that (oh the horror) for better or worse, your pace and final times will be forever written into history for all to see.  I mean, if that doesn't drive you to run a little bit faster next time you get tired, I don't know what else will.  All that aside, we have had some fun with a few 5ks, including:
(1) Run with the Big Dogs - August 20, 2011 - this was to support St. Bernadette's athletic programs.  It, by far, had the fewest runners of any race that I have ever been in.  So few runners that everyone in my family who ran the race actually got a plaque for finishing it.  Really, everyone.  Its no surprise that Leo or Carolyn would place in their age categories - they are like running machines.  But me, mom, and dad.  Yep, I said that correctly.  Mom, dad and I all placed for our mediocre performances - we couldn't be outdone by our peers who were at home sleeping in their beds most likely!
(2) Cleveland Heroes Run - 9/18/11 - this was a 5 miler, but whose counting a few extra miles?  This race was to honor the fallen police and firefighters and was held at St. Joes Academy.  I loved the course which wound through the metroparks and was pleasantly surprised by a lot of the first mile being downhill (don't worry the the second half of mile 4 was uphill, straight uphill).  The support for the race was great and it was really enjoyable.
(3) Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association's Run for Justice - 10/29/11 - this was a 10k, again, I seemed to have really missed the point of this exercise by doing extra mileage.  This started and ended at the Galleria - it wasn't my finest performance as I hadn't really run too much in the cold outside and my asthma left me feeling pretty darn dizzy for most of the race.  Dad was having a great race and caught up with me and since I couldn't let him finish ahead of me, I kicked it into a little higher gear at the end despite how difficult breathing had become.
(4) Lakewood Reindeer Run - 12/3/11 - I will officially end this year's running season with the Lakewood Reindeer run the first week of December.  It will be a nice birthday present to myself and I plan to get in enough cold-weather training to not feel like I'm on the verge of passing out for lack of air this time around.  But hey - its only 3.1 miles and its through my neighborhood and is supposed to have great local support on the course, so I bet it will be a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment